Arroub camp was established in 1949, 15km south of Bethlehem. It is located on only 0.24 square kilometres.
Like other West Bank camps, it was established on land UNRWA leased from the government of Jordan. The original inhabitants came from 33 villages in Ramleh, Hebron and Gaza.
All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure. One in a hundred shelters is not connected to the public sewage network and, thus, has latrines that empty into cesspits.
The camp is located on the main Hebron-Jerusalem road and Israeli military incursions occur sporadically.
The unemployment rate is 30 per cent and is affected by the increased inaccessibility of the Israeli labour market.
- Over 10,400 registered refugees
- Three schools. The boys’ school runs on a two-shift basis.
- One food distribution centre
- One UNRWA health centre, four other health centres
- One community-based rehabilitation centre (currently inactive)
- One children’s centre
- One women’s programme centre
- Demographic profile:
Programmes in the camp
- High unemployment
- Overcrowded schools
- Lack of sewage network
- Occasional Israeli military incursions