Far'a camp was established in 1949 on 0.26 square kilometres of land in the foothills of the Jordan Valley near the Far'a spring.
The camp is 17km north-east of Nablus. Far’a’s original refugees came from 30 villages to the north-east of Haifa. Like other West Bank camps, Far'a was established on land UNRWA leased from Jordan. Following the Wye River Memorandum, the camp came under Palestinian Authority control.
All shelters are connected to public water and electricity infrastructure. Far'a is one of the few camps in the West Bank where UNRWA is able to supply water by pumping from a nearby spring. During the summer months, the spring does not meet demand, and the local camp committee has to pay to bring water to the camp.
Most of the camp residents work in the agricultural sector and some depend on work in the Israeli settlements in the Jordan valley.
Unemployment stands at 22 per cent, affected by reduced demand and increased debts.
- 7,600 registered refugees
- Four schools
- One food distribution centre
- One UNRWA health centre, two others
- One community-based rehabilitation centre
- One women’s programme centre
- Demographic profile:
Programmes in the camp
- Water shortages