Jabal el-Hussein camp is one of four camps established in Jordan after 1948 to accommodate refugees who left Palestine as a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.
The camp was set up in 1952 for 8,000 refugees on an area of 0.42 square kilometres, northwest of Amman.
The refugees replaced the original tents with more durable shelters and UNRWA provided roofing. The camp has since grown into an urban-like quarter and has become part of Amman.
As with other camps in Jordan, Jabal el-Hussein camp faces severe overcrowding. There is no space for further building.
UNRWA runs 12 installations to provide services for camp refugees.
- More than 29,000 registered refugees
- One women’s programme centre
- Four schools
- One food distribution centre
- One health centre
- One community-based rehabilitation centre
- Demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
- High unemployment rate
- Marriage between relatives
- Shelters need reconstruction
- Widespread early marriage and divorce