Amman New Camp, known locally as Wihdat, was one of four camps set up after 1948 to accommodate Palestine refugees who left Palestine as a result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.
The camp was established in 1955 on an area of 0.48 square kilometres, southeast of Amman.
The refugees were initially housed in 1,400 shelters constructed by UNRWA, and in 1957 the Agency built 1,260 additional shelters. Over the years the refugees added more rooms to improve their shelters and the camp has grown into an urban-like quarter surrounded by areas of high population density.
UNRWA's installations in the camp also provide services for the refugees in the camp's surroundings.
Amman New Camp is very overcrowded. Kiosks and haphazard stalls add to the disorganisation on crowded streets.
- More than 51,500 registered refugees
- 13 schools
- One health centre
- One community-based rehabilitation centre
- One women’s programme centre
- Demographic profile
Programmes in the camp
- Early marriage and divorce
- Poverty and unemployment
- Absence of green areas and open play spaces
- Many shelters are in a bad state of repair and need rehabilitation
- Irregular jobs with no social security or health insurance schemes